How to apply

Financial Support for Undergraduates

Main Visual

How much are the tuition fees?
With effect from 2012, the Courtauld Institute of Art will charge an annual tuition fee of £9000 for all UK and EU students on our full- time undergraduate programme, as approved by the Office for Fair Access (see the OFFA agreement in full). You'll find information on this year's tuition fees here.

How will I pay the tuition fees?
You will not be expected to pay your fees up front if you don't want to, and student loans will be available to cover the tuition fees.

When will I repay the tuition fee loan?
The Government has proposed that you would not start to repay your loans until you are earning more than £21000 per year, when your repayments will be linked to your rate of pay. You will need to repay 9% of your income above £21000 per year. For repayment purposes, your tuition fee loan and maintenance loan will be combined.

What money will I get?
You will need to wait until February 2015 to apply for student finance for 2015/16 courses if you are a UK student. If you are an EU student you can apply from April 2015.

To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:

  • a Tuition Fee Loan, to cover your tuition fees in full
  • a Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only)
  • a Maintenance Grant, if your household income is less than £42,600 and you qualify through our widening access eligibility criteria

Download a statement about financial support for Undergraduates 2014/15

Tuition Fee Loan

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to:

  • £9000 for new full-time students

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college.

If you're an EU student from outside the UK, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions.

The loan is paid directly to the institution at which you study and you will have to pay this loan back.

Maintenance Loan

Only full-time, UK domiciled students can get Maintenance Loans for their living costs. You may have to give details of your household income.

The maximum Maintenance Loan for new students is:

  • £7,675 if you live away from home and study at a university or college in London
  • £4,375 if you live at home.

These loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term, once you've registered on your course, and you will have to pay this loan back.

Maintenance Grant

Only full-time, UK- domiciled students can apply for a Maintenance grant. You will have to give details of your household income and when you start your course. Household income is defined as your parents' or partners' income and your own.

These grants are paid into your bank account at the start of each term, once you've registered on your course. You do not have to pay this grant back.

Students in this category may be eligible for support from the following:

  • Childcare Grant
  • Parents' Learning Allowance
  • Adult Dependants' Grant
  • Access to Leaning Fund
  • Child Tax Credit

Students in this category may be eligible for support from the following:

  • Disabled Students' Allowance
  • Access to Learning Fund
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity benefit

Courtauld Bursary

We will award £3,000 to each entrant who qualifies for the full Maintenance Grant (i.e. has a household income of £25,000 or less) and comes from a group identified by the Higher Education Funding Council as being under- represented in higher education:

  • State-school educated
  • National Statistics Socio-Economic Classification Groups 4-7
  • Resident in a low Higher Education participation postcode

It is envisaged that the award will normally comprise £3,000 as a fee waiver, but students may elect to use £2,000 as a fee waiver and take £1,000 as a cash bursary for maintenance costs.

We will also provide fee remission to students who qualify for the partial grant (students from households with an income below £42,600) and also come from the same under- represented groups.

You do not have to pay this bursary back.

What might my total financial support package look like?


Household income

Maintenance Grant

Courtauld Bursary

Balance required*

£25,000 or less




















over £42,600

no grant

no grant


* From a Maintenance Loan or private funds

How to Apply

You can apply for student finance when you receive your firm offer of a place at The Courtauld and up to nine months after the start of the academic year.

  1. Where you live determines which site you must visit.

    a. England, go to
    b. Scotland, go to
    c. Wales, go to
    d. Northern Ireland, go to

  2. Set up a student finance account
  3. Log into your account and comple the online application form
  4. Send in evidence, such as proof of your identity or household income, if you are asked for it
  5. Sign and return the loan declaration you receive in the post then
  6. Send the admissions team at The Courtauld a copy of your "Student Finance Breakdown" statement as soon as you receive it
  7. We will determine your eligibility for support and inform you accordingly.

Other Resources

Further information about grants and loans may be obtained from the following sources: