English Proficiency Certificate
All applicants are expected to have an effective knowledge of English, both spoken or written. For applicants whose first language is not English, we require proof of English proficiency.
We will accept:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with an overall bandwidth of 7.0 or above.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 100 on the Internet-based test (IBT) or a score of at least 600 on the paper-based test (PBT) with a score of at least 5.0 on the Test of Written English
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) with a minimum grade of B
- IGCSE with a minimum grade of B
- Pearson Test for English (PTE) Academic with a score of 75 or above
- CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency) with minimum grade of C
Please note that we will not accept institutional test results.
You may be exempt from providing proof of proficiency if either of the following applies to you:
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country*
- You have an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), which is equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree and the qualification is from an education provider in a majority English speaking country, including the UK and Republic of Ireland but not Canada.
*For a list of countries considered majority English -speaking countries by the UK Border Agency for purposes of English language proficiency, please see the 'Instructions' pages of our programme application forms.
If you are unable to book a test at a centre in advance of the application deadline, you may submit your application without an English proficiency result and it will be passed on for consideration. You should send your test result when it becomes available to you.