The Courtauld Institute of Art is delighted to announce that AkzoNobel, the world’s largest paint and coatings company, will fund two postgraduate students undertaking either a PhD or MA in Conservation of Wall Painting from October 2013. This new initiative builds on AkzoNobel’s current commitment to fund Sanjay Dhar and Sreekumar Menon, who are studying part-time for their PhDs. The additional AkzoNobel Scholarships are for students from China and Brazil.
- 2 Full time MA students in Conservation of Wall Painting Course
- For 2013 intake
- For Chinese and Brazilian students only
- Funding to begin in 2013
- If one Chinese MA student, but no qualified Brazilian MA student can be found, The Courtauld will instead seek to enrol a qualified Brazilian PhD student in place of the Brazilian MA.
- Given the nature of the course, the Brazilian PhD student is likely to enrol part time
- If The Courtauld enrols a Brazilian PhD, it will do so in the 2013/14 academic year.
The Conservation of Wall Painting Department runs the following two programmes. Scholarships may be awarded to students taking either option.
PhD in Conservation of Wall Painting
- 6 years if P/T (3 years if F/T)
MA in Conservation of Wall Painting
- 3 years F/T
- The Courtauld’s is the only specialist postgraduate qualification in Wall Painting Conservation in the entire English-speaking world. We only take about 8 MA students every 3 years from the entire world. This means that our next intake will be 2013 (next intake after that is 2016).
The scholarships have specific reporting and participation requirements, which will be provided to the scholarship recipients.
How to Apply
Please complete the scholarship application form in conjunction with your programme application. The current form can be found on the page linked below and is entitled ‘Application Form.’
Thanks to the generosity of many donors The Courtauld has a number of scholarships to support MA and PhD students, which may cover fees and/or maintenance.
Scholarships are offered by The Courtauld on the basis of academic merit, with consideration given to financial need, to enable MA, PhD and Conservation students to take up places at The Courtauld.
The Courtauld would like to thank:
Scholarship Endowment Funders
- The Sir Geoffrey Agnew Scholarship
- Arbuthnot Bequest
- Deborah Loeb Brice Foundation
- The Guilford Foundation
- Samuel H. Kress Foundation
- The Stanislawa Kryszek Scholarship
- Joseph & Esther Lichtenstein Scholarship
- Robert Postgraduate Studentship Scholarship
- The Charles and Barbara Robertson Studentship Fund
- Lord Rothschild OM, GBE, FBA
- Saunders Bequest
- David Skipsey Memorial Fund
- Garfield Weston Foundation
- Akzo Nobel
- Farah and Hassan Alaghband
- Professor Peter Baldwin and Dr Lisbet Rausing
- Fidelity Charitable Trust
- The Friends of The Courtauld Institute
- The Headley Trust
- The Steven and Elena Heinz PhD Scholarship Programme
- The Gabrielle Jungels-Winkler Scholarship*
- Mr and Mrs Hugues Lepic*
- The Marie-Louise von Motesiczky Charitable Trust
- The Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- The Olga Lupokhova Scholarship
- Mrs Charles Wrightsman*
- Dr Martin Halusa
- Kilfinan Trust
- Thomas H. Lee and Ann Tenenbaum*
- The Ashley Family Foundation
- Linda Kristin Bennett
- The Broad Art Foundation in Honour of Joanne Heyler*
- Ms Veronica Bulgari*
- Thomas Gibson Fine Art Ltd (2013/14)
- Lucia V. Halpern and John Davies
- Morven and Michael Heller
- Mr Andrew Hochhauser
- The John House Scholarship Fund
- Lucy Mitchell Innes and David Nash*
- Ms Clare Maurice
- The Doris Pacey Charitable Trust
- The Stanley Picker Trust
- The Edmond J. Safra Philanthropic Foundation
- Edward Said Scholarship
- George and Patricia White
Contributors to The Courtauld Scholarship Fund
- The British Georgian Society
- CHODA (The Courtauld History of Dress Association)
- The Clothworkers’ Foundation
- The John S. Cohen Foundation
- Context Travel Foundation
- The Courtauld Annual Fund
- The Friends of Academic Research in Georgia
- The Golden Bottle Trust
- The Payne Fund
- Dr John Wilkinson
* Contributors to the US Scholarship Fund
Thank you to the 2010/11 Courtauld Annual Fund Scholarship donors. These donations were used in support of 2011/12 Annual Fund scholars.
We are also very grateful to all scholarship supporters who wish to remain anonymous.