About Duchy House
The Courtauld's own recently refurbished residence is located about 50 metres from Somerset House, on the corner of the Strand and Lancaster Place (here it is on a map).
The accommodation offers 64 single rooms across four floors. Its proximity both to the Institute and many of London's finest museums, galleries, libraries and major attractions makes Duchy House an ideal place to live during your time at The Courtauld.
The property features:
- 47 en suite rooms and 17 rooms with shared facilities furnished with a bed, study desk, wardrobe, bookshelf, lamps and notice board. Larger rooms may also include a chest of drawers
- Free wired Internet access in each room
- A communal kitchen on each floor with a gas cooker, microwave and refrigerator. Each study room is also supplied with a mini fridge
- A common room on the first through third floors
- Coin operated laundry facilities
- Cleaning service in common areas. Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Vacuum cleaners are supplied on each floor
- Swipe card access to the building and each hallway with 24-hour CCTV surveillance monitored by Courtauld Security
Fees are based upon a weekly amount which is inclusive of room and utilities (water, gas, electricity). Leases run for 41 weeks, typically beginning in the third week of September prior to enrolment. Opportunities to extend leases into the summer months may be possible but are subject to availability.
Please note that as the rooms in Duchy House are being used by our students we are unable to give tours of the building.
Fees for the 2012/13 academic year range from £162-£231 per week.
Virtual Tours of Duchy House
To move around each area, simply click & drag with your mouse or use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
To zoom in/out for a closer look, you can use your mouse wheel or SHIFT/CTRL on your keyboard.
Use the drop down menu in the top left corner to move between the different images.
Be sure to click on the FULL SCREEN button for the best view!
DUCHY HOUSE AND INTERCOLLEGIATE HALLS
Students who have firmly accepted an offer for a course at least one academic year in duration will receive an application form for the accommodation we offer.
This form should be filled out and sent to the Courtauld's Academic Registry so that they receive it no later than the deadline listed on the application form (usually mid-June).
We will not begin allocating accommodation until after this deadline, so we can do so on a fair basis according to need (medical conditions, travel time from a student's home, etc.). We will allocate rooms as quickly as possible and hope to send notifications within a fortnight of the application deadline. Rooms are allocated to the Duchy House and the Intercollegiate Halls simultaneously; we cannot offer a choice between the two unless there is a specific medical requirement or other special circumstances.
Unfortunately we are not able to house all students who apply for accommodation at The Courtauld and Intercollegiate Halls. For this reason, we ask that you familiarise yourself with the facilities of the University of London Housing Services, as they can provide alternative solutions to your housing needs.
We have put together a few other accommodation options provided by external organisations and available to students in London. Details about how to apply for each is included.