The Courtauld has a further very special resource available to its students – The Courtauld Gallery. Open to the public daily from 10am to 6pm, entry is free to Courtauld students.Students can also consult the extensive collection of prints and drawings, including old master drawings, in the Prints and Drawings Study Room. The drawings collection reflects our emphasis on North European art of the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
The founder of the Institute, Samuel Courtauld, gave a magnificent collection of mainly French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings in 1932, which has been enhanced by further gifts and bequests to become one of the world's foremost art collections.
Outstanding masterpieces such as Manet’s Bar at the Folies-Bergère, Renoir’s La Loge, a ballet scene by Degas, landscapes by Monet and Pissarro, and a splendid group of eight major works by Cézanne are on show in the gallery, not to mention Van Gogh's Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear and Cherry Orchard, Gauguin’s Nevermore and Te Rerioa, as well as important paintings by Seurat, Toulouse-Lautrec and Modigliani.
Following Roger Fry’s death in 1934, the Institute received his collection of twentieth-century pictures, works of art from the Omega Workshop and examples of non-Western objects of aesthetic interest. Further bequests were added after the Second World War, principally the Old Master paintings formerly belonging to Viscount Lee of Fareham including Rubens’ Descent from the Cross and Cranach’s Adam and Eve.
In 1966, Mark Gambier-Parry bequeathed the collection formed by his grandfather consisting primarily of Italian paintings of the fourteenth to sixteenth centuries, but also including medieval ivories and enamels, majolica, German and Italian glass and Islamic metalwork.
In 1967, a bequest of fine British watercolours was received from William Spooner which complemented the important collection of Old Master and British drawings bequeathed in 1952 by Sir Robert Witt, one of the Institute’s outstanding benefactors. In 1974 a magnificent group of thirteen watercolours by Turner was presented in memory of Sir Stephen Courtauld.
In 1978 there followed the bequest of the superb collection of Old Master paintings and drawings formed by Count Antonie Seilern and known as the Princes Gate Collection. This rivals the Samuel Courtauld Collection in splendour and is particularly strong in the works of Rubens. There are also major works by Bernardo Daddi, the Master of Flémalle, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Quentin Massys, Van Dyck, G.B. Tiepolo, and a group of nineteenth- and twentieth-century works by Pissarro, Degas, Renoir, Cézanne and Kokoschka.
More recently, two collections of late nineteenth- and twentieth-century paintings, drawings and sculptures, mainly by British artists, have been given or bequeathed by Miss Lillian Browse and Dr Alastair Hunter.