Newsletter Archive: Autumn 2000
Publications by Former Students 1999-2000
We print below a list of books, catalogues and periodical articles by former students which appeared between August 1999 and the end of July 2000. We rely for this list on information supplied by the authors. Please therefore, be sure to send the Editor, Jane Ferguson, each spring a note of your publications appearing during the previous twelve months ending the previous 31 July. The Editor will not be able to include articles in periodicals without the number and month as well as the year, unless
Note: the list does not include publication by current members of the Institute's staff, many of whom are former students. A full list of publications by members of Courtauld staff appears in the Institute's annual report, a copy of which may be obtained on request from the Registrar.
Archer-Straw. Petrine, Negrophilia: Avant-Garde Paris and Black Culture in the 1920's, London, Thames and Hudson, 2000.
Baker, Cathleen, By His Own Labor: The Biography of Dard Hunter, Red Hydra Press, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and Oak Knoll Press, 2000.
Benton, Charlotte, ''Enough mistakes and experience behind me - enough strength and future before me.' Buildings in England and the Partnership with Serge Chermayeff, 1933-41'', R. Stephan, (ed) Erich Mendelsohn : Dynamics and Function, Monacelli Press, New York,1999, pp. 190-203, 271-2.
- - 'Design and Industry 1770-1914', M. Kemp, (ed.) Oxford History of Western Art, Oxford University Press, 2000, pp. 380-95.
Christie, Robyn, Benson, W., Holden, R., Quinn, C., 'Dolls' Houses in Australia 1870-1950, Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales, Sydney, 1999.
Cole, Emily, gazetteer in L. Archer, Architecture in Britain and Ireland: 600-1500, Harvill Press, 1999.
- - Home counties section in Everyman Guide to England and Wales, Everyman, 2000.
Corley, Brigitte, Conrad von Soest, Maler unter Fürstlichen Kaufherren, Berlin 2000. Gebruder Mann Verlag, Berlin, 2000.
- - Painting and Patronage in Cologne 1300-1500, Harvey Miller Publishers, London 2000.
Davies, Mary, The Journey: Aspirational Autobiography Spanning Two Thousand Years, Mary Davies. Brodick, Isle of Arran, 1999
De Winkel, Marieke, 'Costume in Rembrandt's self-portraits', Rembrandt by Himself, Exh. Cat. Royal Cabinet, The Mauritshuis, The Hague/National Gallery, London, 1999-2000, pp. 58-74.
- - 'Dress of the Dutch Nobility in the 17th Century', Johan Wolfert van Brederode 1599-1655, een Hollands edelman tussen Nassau en Oranje, Exh. Cat. ,Stedlijk Museum Vianen, 1999-2000, pp. 85-97.
- - with Volker Manuth, 'Los Meninos' by Van Dyck? New identifications and dates for Van Dyck's Vienna 'Palatine Princes'', The Burlington Magazine, CXLIV, March 2000, pp. 147-156.
Franklin, David, 'The identity of Piero della Francesca's youthful saint in the Museo Civico of Sansepolcro confirmed', The Burlington Magazine, CXLI, August 1999, pp. 473-75.
- - with Louis Waldman, 'New Evidence for Rosso Fiorentino in Piombino', Paragone, L, 23, No. 587, 1999, pp. 105-12.
- - 'Francisco de Holanda's collection of drawings by Polidoro da Caravaggio', Apollo, CLI, March, 2000, pp. 12-21.
Gapper, Claire, 'What is 'Stucco? English Interpretations of an Italian Term', Architectural History, Vol. 42, 1999, pp. 333-41.
Hall, James, The World as Sculpture: The changing status of sculpture from the Renaissance to the present day. London, Chatto and Windus,1999, Pimlico, 2000.
Horovitz, Isabel, 'The Materials and Techniques of European Paintings on Copper Supports', in Copper as Canvas: Two Centuries of Masterpiece Paintings on Copper, 1525-1775, Exh. Cat. Phoenix Art Museum, Oxford University Press, 1999.
Ingolfsson, Adalstein, Perl, J. and Sawin, M. Louisa Matthiasdottir - A Monograph, Reykjavik, New York, 1999.
- - Sculptor Sigurjon Olafsson, Vol. 2 of 2 Vol. monograph and catalogue raisonné, Reykjavik, 1999.
Knight, Caroline, 'An early traveller in Turkey: the Rev. Sir George Wheler (1650-1723)', The Georgian Group Journal, 1999,
McAleer, J. Philip, Rochester Cathedral: An Architectural History 604-1540, University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1999.
- - Review of J. Sampson, 'Wells Cathedral West Front', in Journal of Ecclesiastical History, 50/1,2000, pp.141-2.
Roberts, Eileen, Images of Alban: St. Alban in art from the earliest times to the present, Fraternity of the Friends of St. Albans Abbey, 1999.
Selborne, Joanna, Introduction to Sister Margaret Tournour, Bible Plants, Clarion Publishing, 1999.
- - 'An Adventure of Rediscovery: Lesser-known Pre-war Students of Wood-Engraving at the Central School of Arts and Crafts', Matrix, 19, 1999, pp.165-178.
- - Review of George Ewart Evans, Ask the Fellows who Cut the Hay, Ploughman's Parrot Press, 1999, Parenthesis, 4, April 2000.
- - Review
of Nigel TattersÞeld, Bookplates by Beilby & Bewick: a
Biographical Dictionary of Bookplates from the workshop of Ralph Beilby,
Thomas Bewick and Robert Bewick, The British Library New Castle
DE, Oak Knoll Press, 1999 in Journal of the Printing Historical
Society, 1, July 2000.
Stewart, J. Douglas, 'The Baroque'; Chapter 4, The Critics' Choice; (ed). Marina Vaizey, London, Press, 1999, pp.130-61.
- - 'Van
Dyck and his Circle', review of Thomas Doring, Van Dyck und sein
Kreis; Zeichnungen und Druckgraphik aus dem
Kupferstichkabinett des Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museums, exhibition, 18 March-20 June, 1999, Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum, Braunschweig, Apollo, Vol. CL, 1999, pp.54-5.
Niamh, 'Design and Units of Measure on the Hunterston Broach',in
J. Hawkesand S. Mills (Ed). Northumbria's Golden Age, 296-
314, Sutton Publishing, Stroud, 1999.