News Issue No. 12 Autumn 2001
Publications by Former Students 2000-2001
We print below a list of books, catalogues
and periodical articles by former students which appeared between August
2000 and the end of July 2001. For this list, we rely on information supplied
by the authors. Please, therefore, be sure to send the Editor, Jane Ferguson,
each Spring a note of your publications appearing during the twelve months
ending the previous 31 July. The Editor will not be able to include articles
in periodicals without the number and month as well as the year, unless
Note: The list does not include publications by current members of the Institutes staV, many of whom are former students. A full list of publications by members of Courtauld staff appears in the Institutes annual report, a copy of which may be obtained on request from the Registrar.
Andersen, Sofie, Opportunities for Heritage, Tourism Services and Museum Exports, Tourism Journal, Spring, 2000.
Anfam, David, Winner of the 2000 Mitchell Prize for the History of Art, for Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas; A Catalogue Raisonné, Yale University Press, 1998.
- -Clyfford Still: Paintings, 1944-1960, Yale University Press, 2001.
- -Review of James M. Saslow, Pictures and Passions: A History of Homosexuality in the Arts (Viking, London and New York, 1999), in Tate Magazine, Summer, 2000.
Baker, Catherine and DePol, John, Endgrain Designs and Repetitions — The Pattern Papers of John De Pol. The Legacy Press, December, 2000.
Barnes, Martin, Benjamin Brecknell Turner: Rural England through a Victorian Lens, V & A Publications, 2001.
Baron, Wendy, Perfect Moderns: A History of the Camden Town Group, Ashgate, 2000.
- - "Sickert", Print Quarterly, Vol.XVII, no.4, December, 2000, pp. 425-427.
Benedetto, Luca, "The Grand Tour", Journal of the Italian Chamber of Commerce, October, 2000.
Benitez-Johannot, Purissima, Shields from Africa, Southeast Asia and Oceania, Prestel Verlag, Munich, 2000.
- - "Figure de bulul assis tenant une coupe", Sculpture Afrique, Asie, Océanie, Amérique, Réunion des Musées Nationaux, Paris, 2000, pp. 237-243.
- - "The Oldest Dated Bulul: Witness to Ifugao Prehistory", Arts et Cultures, Paris, no. 1, 2000, pp. 94-110.
- - "Art, Artifact of Polemic? Entangled Objects on Display", Arts et Cultures, Paris, No.1, 2001. - - "Focus on David Cortez Medalla: Hedonist in a State of Grace", Pananaw, Manila, no.l, 2001.
Betzer, Sarah, "Ingress Second Madame Moitessier 'Le Brevet du Peintre dHistoire," Art History, 23:5, December, 2000.
Bridgeman, Jane, "'Pagare le Pompe: Why the Sumptuary Laws did not work," Women in Italian Renaissance Culture and Society, Letizia Panizza (ed.), Legenda, Oxford, 2000, pp. 209-226.
- - "Dress in Moronis Portraits", Giovanni Battista Moroni, Renaissance Portraitist, Exh. cat., Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 2000, pp. 44-52.
Collins, Minta, Medieval Herbals, The Illustrative Traditions, British Library/University of Toronto Press, 2000.
Corley, Brigitte, Painting and Patronage in Cologne, Harvey Miller Publishers, 2000.
- - "Historical Links and Artistic Reflections; England and Northern German in the Late Middle Ages", in John Mitchell (ed.), Harlaxton Medieval Studies, Stamford, 2000.
Duigan, Michael, "A Greek Vase-painting: Comments on the Nature of Craftsmanship?", in Valerie Mainz and Griselda Pollock (eds.), Work and the Image, Vol. 1, Work, Craft & Labour, Visual Representations in Changing Histories, Ashgate, 2000, pp. 13-34.
Franklin, David, "Francisco de Holandas collection of drawings by Polidoro da Caravaggio", Apollo, CLI, March 2000, pp. 12-21.
- - "Piero di Cosimos Vulcan Canvases Reunited", The National Gallery of Canada Review/Revue, 1, 2000, pp. 53-65.
- - "Pontormos Saint Anne altarpiece and the Last Florentine Republic", La Revue du Louvre, No. 1, 2001, pp 76-87.
Geddes, Jane (ed.), Kings College Chapel, Aberdeen: 1500-2000, Northern Universities Press, 2000.
- - Deeside and the Mearne: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, Rutland Press, 2001.
Goodall, John, Gods House at Ewelme, Ashgate, 2001.
Gray, Camilla, 'Conservation of Contemporary Art: the Interraction between the Living Artist and "Conservator", at ww.icn.nl/english.
Hallett, Mark, Roger Hilton, Scholar Press, 2000.
Hearn, Karen, "Sir Nathaniel Bacon: Horticulturalist and Artist", British Art Journal, 2, Summer, 2000, pp. 13-15.
- - "A Fatal Fertility ? Elizabeth and Jacobean Pregnancy Portraits", Costume, 2000, pp. 39-43.
- - A Seventeenth Century Enigma: Jan Siberechtss 'View of a House and its Esate in Belsize, Middlesex, 1696, Patrons Paper no. 3, Tate, 2000.
Hetherington, Paul, The Greek Islands: A Guide to the Byzantine and Medieval Buildings and their Art, Quiller Press, 2001.
- - "Byzantine and Russian Enamels in the Treasury of Hagia Sophia in the Late 14th Century", Byzantinische Zeitschrift, 93.1., 2000, pp. 133-137.
- - "The Chalice of the Grand Master Villiers de lIsle Adam, in Rabat.", Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti, 2001.
- - "The Byzantine Enamels on the Staurothèque from the Treasury of the Prieuré dOignies now in Namur", Cahiers Archéologiques, 48, 2001.
Hyman, James, Catalogues Raisonés of the Prints of Tony Bevan, Anselm Kiefer, Hanri Cartier-Bresson, Print Quarterly, 2000.
Irwin, David, Neoclassicism, Phaidon, 1947, Greek Translation, Athens, 2000.
Irwin, Francina, "Across Sutherland with its Duchess", Country Life, 24, August 2000.
Jackson, Neil, "Christ Church, Streatham, and the Rise of Contstructional Polychromy", Architectural History, Vol. 43, 2000, pp. 219-152.
Leader, R., "The David Plates Revisited: Transforming the Secular in Early Byzantium", Art Bulletin, September, 2000.
Leavitt Bourne, Marcy, "Talking with Leonda Finke", The Medal, British Museum, No. 38, Spring, 2001.
Liedtke, Walter, A View of Delft: Vermeer and His Contemporaries, Zwolle, Netherlands, 2000.
- - with Michiel Plemp & Axel Rüger, Vermeer and the Delft School, Exh. Cat. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2001.
Liversidge, Michael, "... a few foreign graces and airs...": William Marlows Grand Tour Landscapes", in C. Hornsby (ed.), The Impact of Italy: the Grand Tour and Beyond, London, British School at Rome, 2000, pp. 83-89.
Norton, Paul F., The Stained Glass Windows of Rhode Island, Rhode Island, 2001.
Risch-Stolz, Marianne, and Bruhns, Heinrich Stegemann 1888-1945: Werkverzeichnis der Graphik, Hamburg, 2000.
Rizzi, Mariella, "La fascination de létranger: la 'Muse ferroviaire", in Exh. Cat. Portrait(s) de Sarah Bernhardt. Bibliothèque Nationale., 2000
Roenisch, Rowan, "Vernacular as Invented Tradition: Variety in Zimbabwe Vernacular Architecture" in IASTE (International Association for the Study of Traditional Environments, Centre for Environmental Design Research, University of Berkeley, California), Working Papers Series: Discourses of Tradition and Globalisation, Vol. 136, Dec., 2000, pp. 11-42.
Shepherd, Rupert, and Neher, Gabriele, (eds.) Revaluing Renaissance Art, Ashgate, 2000.
Stevenson, Christine, Medicine & Magnificence: British Hospitals & Asylum Architecture, 1660-1815, Yale University Press, 2000.
Stewart, J. Douglas, "Reflections on Eroticism, Love and the Antique in Van Dycks Art", Apollo, Vol. CLII, 2000, pp. 26-33.
- - "Thomas Willeboirts Boschaert and Pieter Thijs: Two Tangled Painters of Antwerp; with an Excursus on Van Dycks St. Felix of Cantalice", in Hans Vlieghe, Turnhout, (ed.) Van Dyck 1599-1999: Conjectures and Refutations, Brepols, 2001,pp.271-88.
Sujo, Glenn, Legacies of Silence with exhibition, Imperial War Museum, London 2001.
Supinska-Polit, Edyta, "Heavens Angels with Grinding Organs: John Ruskins Idea of Life", Journal of the Institute of English Studies, University of Warsaw. 2000.
Sweetman, John, The Artist and the Bridge, 1700-1920, Ashgate, 2000.
Tudor Craig, Pamela, "A Seal Bag of 1400 at Burghley", in Harlaxton Medieval Studies, in Memory of Andrew Martindale, December, 2000.
- - "A Seal Bag of 1095 at Burghley House", in Paul Binski (ed.), Festschrift for George Henderson, 2001.
Whitworth, Benjamin, The Sculpture of Leon Underwood, Lund Humphries/Henry Moore Foundation, 2000.
Williamson, Beth, "The Cloisters Double Intercession: The Virgin as co-Redemptrix", Apollo, Vol. CLII, no. 465, November, 2000.
Worsley, Giles, (ed.) The Life and Works of John Carr, by Brian Wragg, Oblong, 2000.
Wright, Christopher, Rembrandt, for series, Les Phares, Paris, Citadelles et Mazenot, Munich, Hirmer Verlag, 2000.