Professor John Shearman

We regret to announce the sad death in August of Professor John Shearman. He died suddenly whilst driving in Canada.

John Shearman was an undergraduate and PhD student at the Courtauld Institute from 1951-1957, specialising in Italian Renaissance art and architecture. In 1958 he became an Assistant Lecturer and subsequently Lecturer and Senior Lecturer. In 1967 he was appointed a Reader and from 1974-78 was Professor and Deputy Director.

He left the Institute in 1979 to take up a post at Princeton University in the Department of Art and Archaeology until 1987 (serving as Chair of the Art Department 1979-85). From Princeton he moved to the Department of Fine Arts at Harvard University until 2002, where he was Chair 1990-93.

He was elected an Honorary Fellow of the Courtauld Institute of Art in 2000.