Discover Art History in another language
poster designed by Regarde! Year 10 MFL students, June 2009
Regarde! is a programme designed to encourage the learning and use of Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) in schools while visiting The Courtauld Gallery.
Using The Courtauld Gallery collection and the practice of Art History, Regarde! students experience a unique visit, delivered by a native speaker with cross-curricula activities designed to support the language curriculum. COME AND BOOK A VISIT WITH US!
See below for more information on visits, resources and previous projects.
To book a Regarde! visit, or for any further information, please contact email@example.com or phone 0207 848 1058.
online French resources
Other Regarde! resources
These Regarde! activities are all connected to specific works in The Courtauld Gallery collection. They are taken from our Teachers Resources produced during our temporary exhibitions. Feel free to download or browse through these resources to prepare or follow up on a visit to our gallery.
- Cézanne, The Card Players
- Toulouse-Lautrec, Jane Avril at the entrance of the Moulin Rouge and 'Gay Paris'
- The Omega workshop and Post-Impressionism
- Women in French drawings from the 18th and 19th century
- Florentine wedding chests, The Courtauld Cassoni
- Michelangelo, The Dream - Love sonnets in the early 16th century - IN ITALIAN
- Mondrian in Paris, 1911 - 1940
- Poetry in Post-War France, Jacques Prevert
Regarde! visits at the courtauld gallery
Regarde! visits are currently available for all MFL students. They can be delivered in parts or entirely in French. They can be:
- one or two hour visits of The Courtauld Gallery collection of French art including language activities
- Language and art workshops, including tours, extended language and art history-related activities. These can be delivered directly in schools (in the London and Greater London area).
We also offer long-term Regarde! projects which include visits to the gallery and sessions in schools. These can be tailored to the MFL units studied in the classroom.
For more information, or to book a Regarde! visit, please education @courtauld.ac.uk or phone 0207 848 1058
Previous regarde! projects
- May - June 2012: Look again...Regarde! project, part of the Stories of the World, Cultural Olympiad - in partnership with NewVIc (Newham Sixth Form College).
Working on portraiture, representations of the self and photography, year 12 French students engaged with The Courtauld's collection of portraits and re-interpreted the works by creating their own photographic self-portrait. Click here for the Look again...Regarde! page.
- December 2010: Conversation - an online project around Cezanne's Card Players exhibition. This project was delivered in partnership with St Michael's Catholic Grammar School in Finchley, London. Click here to access the Conversation page.
- 14-15 June 2010: Teaching Visual Arts in the UK and in France,
International Conference, organised in partnership with the HCEAC (Haut Conseil de l'Education Artistique et Culturelle), Paris, the French Institute and The French Embassy, London on educational and artistic practices in museums and schools.
For more information on this unique conference, please click here.