Research Forum autumn Term 2012
Art & Death
Thursday, 1 November 2012
10.00 12.30, Research Forum
Tomb of John Fitzalan (Photo: Jessica Barker)
Speaker(s): Sara Frier (Graduate Centre of City University, New York); Jeehee Hong (Syracuse University, New York); Samuel Luterbacher (Independent); Kaia Magnusen (Rutgers University, New Jersey); John Renner (The Courtauld Institute of Art); Michal Ron (Freie Universität, Berlin)
Ticket/entry details: NOW FULLY BOOKED.
Please note there is no waiting list for this event, however, should you wish to keep in touch and join the Art and Death mailing list please contact Ann.Adams@courtauld.ac.uk. In the event of seats becoming available for this workshop we will let you know by email.
Organised by: Jessica Barker and Ann Adams (The Courtauld Institute of Art)
This is the first of a series of three workshops to be held at the Courtauld Institute of Art in 2012-2013 to explore the inter-relationship between art and death. These workshops have arisen from an informal group of doctoral students with shared interests in funerary monuments. This first workshop, with diversity in region and period, will focus on the images and objects related to the impact that the certainty of death has on individuals and the community.
Call for Papers for forthcoming workshops. Subjects can include, but are not limited to:
Workshop 2: (21 February 2013): Death and Dying
• A ‘good death’
• War and violence
• Funerals/Professional mourners
• Funerary monuments, memorial architecture, cemetery design
• Post-mortem portraits
• Images of the corpse in painting, sculpture, film, photography, etc
• Crucifixion imagery
• Death in museum collections
Workshop 3 (23 May 2013) Life after Death
• Images of the soul /resurrected or re-incarnated body
• Depictions of the afterlife
• The incorruptible body, saints, relics and reliquaries
• Remembering the dead, commemoration in art and/or performance
• The ‘immortality’ of the artist, post-mortem reputations
Format and Logistics:
• Length of paper: 20 minutes
• Four papers per workshop
• Location: Research Forum, The Courtauld Institute of Art
• Timing: 10am-midday
• Expenses: funds are not available to cover participants’ expenses
We welcome proposals relating to all periods, media and regions (including non-European) and see this as an opportunity for doctoral and early post-doctoral students to share their research.
Please send proposals of no more than 250 words to: Jessica.Barker@courtauld.ac.uk and Ann.Adams@courtauld.ac.uk by the following dates:
• 10 January 2013 for workshop 2 (21 February 2013): Death and Dying
• 11 April 2013 for workshop 3 (23 May 2013): Life after Death
For planning purposes, it would be helpful to have an indication of interest in the later workshops, in advance of submission of a proposal.
Organised by Jessica Barker and Ann Adams (The Courtauld Institute of Art)